D. I. Why? (Part 2 - Matwork)

At this point in the journey, materials have been purchased, measurements marked and cuts made. Now, we assemble. Let me rephrase, we stare at the separate pieces trying to understand the less-than-detailed instructions. I am convinced that IKEA was somehow involved. Of course I had read the directions prior to deciding to undertake this project, but understanding and attempting to execute them is a whole new ballgame. Will swedish meatballs materialize once all is said and done? Let the games begin...

I decide to tackle the folding mat first, it seems fairly straightforward, 2 rectangular boxes connected by a hinge with a stick through one end and a strap at the other. First step: make frame. I locate the wood glue, break out the screwdriver and hammer and arrange the previously cut pieces of lumber into a rectangle.

The struggle begins. It's still winter and while my makeshift workshop isn't an igloo on the arctic tundra, it's still cold, making the effort to get the already thick wood glue out of the bottle that much harder. I painstakingly coerce the glue out of its container onto the pieces of lumber, and yes, I made sure to use my powerhouse.

Next up, glue the pieces together. I've wrestled the glue out of the bottle and form a rectangular frame on the ground, but one part is slightly misaligned. I need a rectangle, not a rhombus, so I gingerly shift the piece of wood and ta-da! It is where it should be. Now every other part of the frame has shifted. I repeat the aforementioned process until it is as it should be. Looks good, now to move it so I can put together the other half. It completely falls apart as I awkwardly struggle to move it to a designated area. Awesome.

I create a makeshift table to assemble the frame on, again, and decide I need to have something else holding the frame together until the glue dries and I can put the nails and screws in. Ratchet straps will be perfect, I just need to locate them. I ask my Workshop Manager, (aka my Dad), where they might be and after a short search he pulls out a crate choc full of 'em. Great, let's strap 'em on so I can move on to the other half of the frame. A solid 45 minutes- 1 hour later we finally figure out how to work the things and then quickly secure a few more before we forget the proper way to do it.

The construction of the first half of the frame is complete with an approximate assembly time of 2 1/2 hours. It takes 30 minutes to put together the second half with most of the time being the struggle with the wood glue.

The remainder of the assembly is mostly upholstering the frames and connecting them together with the hinges. Thankfully it is more tedious than tumultuous.


I can honestly say I am pleased with the outcome. It's a bit heavier than

i anticipated, but that is due to the type of wood that I used, and it is super comfortable, like, I've taken naps on it comfortable. Maybe I can get some Air-B&B action going...

With the mat complete, it is time to move on to the ladder barrel. This is a show you don't want to miss.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
Follow Us
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon

© 2016 Annmarie Guglielmo